Friday, September 20, 2013

7 Quick Takes Vol. 18

1.       So, here’s a question: do I have a bad attitude if I honestly don’t care about my job except insofar as it pays the bills? I mean, I work at a place where people basically spend their time re-inventing the light bulb. I really wasn’t aware of any great defect in my car’s head lamps, nor of any need for novelty mood-lighting in the interior. I’m sorry, but it’s hard to get excited about endlessly refining something that pretty much has worked fine for at least half a century.

Cars in general just don’t interest me much; they’re just tools, and not even particularly fun tools (like shotguns). My ‘dream car,’ as far as it goes, is one of those pick-up trucks that keeps running for decades and only gets sold when they stop making parts for it. In short; I honestly don’t think we’re doing anything particularly important, and even if we were, I wouldn’t have much interest in it. Is that bad? Should I try to make myself care about my job? What do you think?

(I really hope my boss doesn’t see this.)

2.       A series of recent internet articles/discoveries from disparate sources has helped me really make peace with my introvertedness. I seriously could have used this kind of advice a little earlier, when everyone was trying to get me to go out and ‘socialize’ with people and acting like there was something wrong because I didn’t find much common ground with my fellow high schoolers. Better late than never, though.

3.       I’m still breaking from the online dating scene. I have the idea that I really need to settle on a career/vocational path and make a little progress in that field before I search for a mate.

4.       Our esteemed hostess at Conversion Diary mentioned an argument with her husband about the possibility of mixing rap and country. I loathe rap and love country, but I have to come down in the “it CAN be done” camp, based on the song Answer to No One. How many songs involve someone boasting about being a ‘Republican voter’? For that line alone, the song rocks hard.

5.       I just took the Meirs-Briggs Personality thingy again, and this time I came up as ‘INTJ.’ I’m not entirely convinced that’s accurate (I’m not aware of much ‘unrelenting self confidence’ at the moment), but it’s kinda cool. Well, except that, according to the website, INTJs are “likely to be completely clueless when it comes to attracting a partner.” Yeah, tell me something I don’t know. Apparently, I’m the same personality type as Vladimir Putin, Augustus Caesar, and both Hannibals (the general and the cannibal). Suddenly, my dreams of world-domination don’t seem quite so fanciful.

6.       As part of this week’s 7 Quick Takes, we were also asked to come up with the song that best expresses our personality type. Me? I picked The Impossible Dream; idealistic, defiant, magnanimous, and devoted to higher ideals to the exclusion of conventions. That sounds about right.

7.       I plan to use my upcoming vacation to do some serious discernment and come up with a good blueprint for some short and long term goals. Time, I think, to buckle down and get serious about, as the subheading says, crafting the life I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment